Thursday, November 8, 2007

Chunky may be healthy

My family has known for generations that a little insulation against the cold and lean times is a good thing.

My 92 year old grandmother knew it, my 96 year old mother knew it and they didn't worry (much) about the extra pounds. They might have worried more about the extra inches or misplaced fat supplies that looked more like angel wings, thunder things, or padunkadunk butt. Don't you love that word? Padunkadunk?

The women in my family were expert pie bakers, fried and cooked with butter, lard, and bacon fat, and savored and enjoyed every bite of food. They equated love with food. They cooked for their families because they loved them. They spent extra hours in the kitchen because food was a gift of the heart.

Cooking was an art and they exchanged recipes and shared tips and then there were the few dishes they excelled in and neither shared tips nor recipes. But it was a friendly rivalry and usually after the cook passed away, an offspring would share the recipe, maybe.

For several years doctors have disagreed with Grandma. They said that food hurts the heart, or rather the extra pounds that come from Grandma's pound cake, pies and fritters cause diabetes, kidney disease, heart attacks and strokes....

Other diseases have been equated to obesity including Alzheimer's Disease, pancreatic and colon cancer and breast cancer.

But today I read that an extra 22 pounds can be healthy. Finally vindication for Grandma from the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia.

"Researchers found Americans who are overweight are less likely to die of heart disease and cancers - including those commonly associated with excess weight, such as breast, kidney, pancreatic and colon cancer."

The timing of the release of this study is perfect. We can sit down at Thanksgiving dinner, eat a little more potatoes and gravy, an extra serving of cranberry salad, maybe even a thicker slice of pumpkin pie and know that we're making a healthy choice, although perhaps more fresh veggies, salad and green bean casserole might make us feel better at the end of the day.

Yet, the feeling of well being that comes from a full tummy and sharing a gift of food certainly gives us something to be thankful for.

Have you finalized your Thanksgiving plans? After this report's release, you may need to prepare a bit more food.

4 comments:

Rick Bylina said...

I cook the turkey, make two kinds of homemade dressing (don't tell the nieces that the liver is ground up and in there), create the world's best gravy (there is a secret I'm not sharing), mash the potatoes, and cook the corn. If I need desert, it's Extreme Moose Tracks. Sadly, I can cook, but I can't bake.

My mouth's watering. I wonder what's in the refrigerator.

And I have my extra 22 pounds and a bit more. ;-)

Ruth L.~ said...

I heard that information on the news. I did one of those, "Shhhhh" things to my husband and listened intently. Still . . . I can't buy into it. Not that I wouldn't like to.

Dawn said...

Rick, you can come and cook at my house anytime. I'll provide the baked goods. :)

And Ruth. I can believe it is true.

My mother, a plump woman as long as I've known her, (she's 95, by the way and going strong) and my aunt a tall big boned woman always concerned that she might be fat, (who died at 80) were talking and Mom finally had enough of the 'gotta be thin' routine, looked in my aunt's face and said, "Well, you know, fat women don't have as many wrinkles as skinny ones."

That alone might be worth an extra kilo or two. It was also the end of my aunt's weight discussion, at least with my smooth faced mother. :)

Dawn

Rick Bylina said...

How about April 29, 2018? I've bring the meatloaf.